Interior design can be hard to get right. There are many rules to follow, but there are even more exceptions. It is essential to have adequate accent chairs in your living room; you won’t want to make the space look under-furnished or too crowded, which makes it challenging to host guests or move around comfortably.
So that brings up the main question: how many accent chairs should be in the living room? Frankly, this depends on various factors, such as the amount of space you have and the room’s interior design.
This article will go over the tips for placing accent chairs in your living room and how many chairs are needed to beautify your space perfectly.
What are Accent Chairs?
Accent chairs are standalone chairs designed to add visual interest and decorative flair to a room. Simply, they are chairs that accent the decor around them by being in a contrasting or solid colour. They are used in living rooms, bedrooms, and other home areas where people relax and entertain guests.
Accent chairs come in a wide variety of styles, materials, and colours, so they can be customized to match the decor of any room. Some common types of accent chairs are swivel accent chairs, lounge accent chairs, modern accent chairs, and leather accent chairs.
Unlike traditional chairs that are designed primarily for function and comfort, accent chairs are meant to be eye-catching and attention-grabbing.
They often have unique designs, bold patterns, or striking colours that make them stand out from the other furniture in the room. They are typically smaller than traditional chairs, so they can be placed in smaller spaces or used to fill in gaps in a seating arrangement.
How Many Accent Chairs Should Be in the Living Room?
If you want to add accent chairs to your living room, you’ll need to know how many to buy. There is no set number of chairs to mix in your space because each space has different sizes, shapes, decor, and layouts.
However, there is a rule of thumb to implement to get the perfect number for your space.
“The rule of thumb is to typically have two accent chairs in a standard-sized room, though this can vary. It is also important to ensure that your chairs match your decor and that the print is not loud. The number of seats in other rooms in your home also matters.”
Helpful Tips When Placing Accent Chairs in the Living Room
- The size of your living room is essential to the number of accent chairs adequate for your space. You do not want your space to look too full or too empty.
- Placing your chairs in the right way is more important than the quantity of the chairs used. If uniquely placing your furniture will lead to placing an extra chair, always go for the unique placement.
- The size of your chairs should also go along with the size of the space. Slimmer furniture is the way to go if you have a small, tight space.
- In general, avoid loud prints and patterns unless you can make them work with surrounding decor.
- The number of chairs in one entertaining space of your home should generally match the number of chairs in other spaces guests will frequent.
- The type of accent chair you decide to place also determines how to place accent chairs in your space. For example, round swivel accent chairs go best in small spaces, while modern accent chairs match contemporary settings best.
You can also check our blog on how much a small accent chair weighs.
In conclusion, the number of accent chairs that should be in a living room depends on various factors, such as the size of the room, the overall style of the space, and the intended use of the chairs.
However, as a general guideline, two accent chairs are typically sufficient for a small to the medium-sized living room, while larger rooms may benefit from three or more chairs. It is also essential to consider the placement and arrangement of the chairs to ensure optimal functionality and visual appeal.
Ultimately, the key is to strike a balance between practicality and aesthetics and to choose chairs that complement the overall design scheme of the living room. By following these guidelines, homeowners can create a cosy and inviting living space that meets their needs and preferences.
You can also check our accent chair section for more accent chairs of your choice.
- Consider the size of your living room and avoid making it look too full or too empty.
- Focus on the placement and arrangement of the chairs rather than the quantity.
- Choose chairs that match the size of the space, opting for slimmer furniture in small, tight spaces.
- Avoid loud prints and patterns unless they can be made to work with the surrounding decor.
- The number of chairs in one entertaining space should generally match the number of chairs in other spaces guests will frequent.
- The type of accent chair chosen should also be considered, with round swivel chairs suitable for small spaces and modern accent chairs for contemporary settings.