Make sure the outdoor furniture set is shielded from the weather and elements if you're thinking about purchasing it. Outdoor furniture sets are generally costly, and they are also made to stand up to the element. Furniture covers could be an excellent way to protect the furniture. However, many people are still determining whether the covers should be cleaned. In this post, we'll cover informative content answering the question of can outdoor furniture covers be washed.
Can Outdoor Furniture Covers Be Washed
Yes, you can wash your outdoor patio set cover. You must be careful not to use too much force or water when washing a patio furniture cover. The fabric of the cover might be harmed, which would make it fall.
Before deciding whether or not to wash your outdoor furniture cover, it is vital to learn how frequently it will need to be washed and how long it will take to dry.
Here are some pointers for cleaning the coverings of your outdoor furniture:
- Wash with a mild detergent: Opt for a cleaning product specifically designed for outdoor furniture covers, rather than regular laundry detergent or household cleaners. This ensures optimal cleaning without compromising the fabric's quality.
- Wash them in cold or warm water and dry them immediately after washing: Warm water works well to remove dirt and debris while maintaining the softness of the cover material. Use of hot water should be avoided since over time, it can cause damage and increase wear. Use a cold temperature setting to avoid the growth of mold in damp environments or if there are plants nearby.
- Always rinse them in cold water before drying: After washing, rinse the outdoor furniture covers with cold water. This step helps eliminate any remaining dirt or debris that could potentially damage the fabric over time.
- Do not use bleach when washing: Bleach can cause discoloration and damage the fabric of outdoor furniture covers due to its oxidizing properties. Additionally, it can be harmful to surrounding plants if accidentally used near them.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals like acetone while cleaning: To ensure that coverings endure a long time, avoid using harsh chemicals like acetone. These compounds have the potential to weaken the fabric and increase its susceptibility to tearing. Instead, opt for a mild detergent.
- Use the appropriate amount of water: The amount of water used while cleaning may need to be adjusted depending on whether the frame of your furniture cover is made of plastic or metal. Pay attention to crevices that may collect mold if not thoroughly cleaned. Avoid overfilling rinse cycles, as this can damage vinyl materials or potentially cause tears in the fabric. Metal frames may require extra care, as water can accumulate in small holes, making cleaning more challenging compared to plastic frames.
- Drying your furniture cover will help prevent mildew from forming over time: It is essential to dry your furniture cover after washing it. If you leave it wet, the mildew will start to grow and cover your furniture cover. You can use a hair or clothes dryer, but ensure that you do not leave them too long on high heat as this can damage the material.
- Store your covers in a dry place to prevent mildew and mould after washing and when not in use: Proper storage is essential to prevent mildew and mold growth on furniture covers. Ensure the covers are completely dry before storing them. If storing indoors, choose a well-ventilated area to prevent moisture buildup.
Ways Of Washing Outdoor Furniture Covers
Want to know the best ways to wash outdoor furniture covers? Then you are at the right place. Here are some ways of washing your outdoor set covers.
Hosing Down or Wiping Down Your Covers
If your covers are dirty, hosing them down or wiping them down with a damp cloth is another option. This works best for fairly clean covers that still have some dirt on them. It's also perfect for removing any grass stains lingering on your covers from when they were outside in the garden!
Related Reading: furnish your small outdoor space.
Washing the Covers in the Washing Machine
It's a fantastic idea to wash your covers in the washing machine to get rid of any loose dirt or debris. You can wash your outdoor furniture covers in a washing machine, but you should only do this if they are made of canvas or similar material. Cotton is not suitable for cleaning and will not withstand the washing machine.
Spraying Your Covers With a Garden Hose and Use a Soft Bristle Brush to Scrub Them Off
Your covers can be sprayed with a garden hose before being scrubbed with a soft bristle brush. Make sure not to overspray it as this could harm the cover itself. All the dirt and debris that can be lodged in the seams and corners can be removed with the help of brushing. This procedure must be repeated multiple times to completely eliminate the dirt.
Using a Power Washer
You can swiftly clean your covers using a power washer if you want them to be cleaned quickly and effortlessly. However, if done incorrectly, this could be harmful. Use the appropriate cleaning agent for the cover to prevent any harm from occurring during the cleaning procedure.
Outdoor furniture covers are a great way to protect your furniture from the elements. Can outdoor furniture sets be left in the rain? They're lightweight and easy to move and look great on your patio or deck! But what about washing them? Do you need to wash them? This article has covered engaging content on whether you should wash your cover, washing tips, and some reasons why you should wash the outdoor sofa set covers.
- Use a mild detergent specifically designed for outdoor furniture covers.
- Wash them in cold or warm water, avoiding hot water.
- Rinse them in cold water before drying.
- Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals.
- Use the right amount of water depending on the cover's material.
- Dry the covers thoroughly to prevent mildew growth.