Cleaning your desk chair may not be at the top of your to-do list, but it’s important to keep it clean to ensure a healthy and comfortable workspace. Here are some steps to follow on how to clean a desk chair.
Clean a Desk Chair Cushion Steps:
- Remove the cushion from the chair if possible. Check if the cushion has a removable cover. If it does, remove the cover and wash it separately following the care instructions on the label.
- If the cushion does not have a removable cover, vacuum it first to remove dust and lose debris.
- Prepare a solution of mild detergent and warm water. Dip a soft cloth or sponge into the solution and wring out excess liquid.
- Gently scrub the cushion with the soapy cloth, paying extra attention to stains and dirty areas.
- Rinse the cushion thoroughly with clean water to remove any soapy residue.
- Squeeze out excess water and allow the cushion to air dry completely before using it again.
- Optionally, you can use a fabric conditioner or odour eliminator spray to freshen up the cushion after cleaning.
Clean a Fabric Desk Chair Steps:
- Vacuum the chair thoroughly to remove loose dirt and dust.
- Mix a solution of warm water and mild detergent in a bucket.
- Dip a soft-bristled brush or sponge in the solution and gently scrub the fabric in a circular motion.
- Pay special attention to any stains or spots, and scrub them with a bit more force.
- Rinse the brush or sponge with clean water and use it to wipe away any soapy residue from the fabric.
- Repeat the process as needed until the chair is clean.
- Allow the chair to air dry completely before using it again.
Note: Always check the manufacturer's instructions before cleaning any fabric chair, as some materials may require specific care.
Clean Leather Desk Chair Steps:
- Dust the chair – Use a soft, dry cloth to dust the chair. Be gentle not to scratch the leather.
- Apply Leather Cleaner – Apply a leather cleaner to a soft cloth and rub it on the surface of the chair in a circular motion. Be sure to cover the entire surface of the chair.
- Clean Stains – If there are stains on the chair, use an ink cleaner or a gentle solvent to remove them. Don't use any products that contain acetone or alcohol.
- Rinse with clean water – Use a clean, damp cloth to rinse the surface of the chair. Water is enough to remove the cleaner from the surface of the leather.
- Dry the chair – Use a clean, dry cloth to dry the leather chair. Apply leather conditioner to keep it soft and shiny.
Note: Always test the cleaner on a small, inconspicuous area before applying it to the entire chair to ensure there is no damage.
Related Reading: Desk Chair Buying Gudie.
Clean Wheels of a Rolling Desk Chair Steps:
- Remove the chair from its place and flip it over, so you can access the wheels easily.
- Use a dry cloth or brush to remove any loose dust, dirt or hair from the wheels.
- Apply a generous amount of cleaning solution to the wheels. You can use any cleaning solution that works well on hard floors, such as vinegar and water, or a commercial cleaning solution.
- Scrub the wheels with a brush or old toothbrush to loosen any dirt or dust that may be stuck in between the treads.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe down the wheels, removing any remaining cleaning solution and loosened dirt.
- Dry the wheels thoroughly with a clean dry cloth.
- Once the wheels are clean and dry, reattach the chair to the base and put it back in its place.
Remember to clean the wheels of your rolling desk chair regularly to keep them clean and functioning smoothly.
Regular cleaning of your desk chair can help maintain its appearance and extend its lifespan. It can also help prevent any allergen buildup, which can contribute to poor indoor air quality. By following these simple steps, you can keep your desk chair clean and comfortable for your everyday use.